Sage Rod Blanks are the heart and soul of the rod and make a perfect canvas. We provide you with the best in fly rod technology and all you have to do is dress it to match your unique style. All of our blanks are still proudly hand built and designed here on Bainbridge Island, WA.
For those ready to build their own fly rod using a Sage blank, a comprehensive database of guide spacing measurements is a fantastic resource and can be found on the Sage website. Using the guide spacing provided ensures that your rod performs just like one of the fly rods that are hand built.
Sage's R&D Department suggests that you keep the guide placement within a ¼ inch of the measurement that we provide in order to be consistent with the design and feel of factory-assembled Sage rods. Drastic changes to guide size and placement can affect the overall performance of the blank. Below are some tips that will help you assemble your rod to our specifications:
Salt HD Rod Description
- The white dots on each section indicate the straightest axis of the blank; we recommend aligning each section, dot to dot then place the guides on the dotted line
- Assemble the blank and lay flat on a large table or floor with the tip top guide attached
- Measure from the top of the tip top wire down the length to the butt section and mark each measurement with a felt tip pen or marker
- Place the bottom foot, foot closest to butt, on the measurement for best placement accuracy
- The "t" at the end of a guide size stands for thin wire or light wire guide - examples: 1/0t or 1t
- Guide sizes are for double foot snake guides. For single foot guides, we recommend going up 2 sizes.
These are Sage's recommendations, but as a custom rod builder you, of course, have the ability to move the guides around as you choose.
In the world of saltwater fishing there is a lot of water out there and with that, a lot of fish species. From calm flats to open seas, the opportunities range dramatically. To put your best foot forward in high stakes fishing, you need a tool built for the exacting conditions of every unique fishery. The SALT HD lineup of rods are constructed differently - each with purpose. The fast-moving inhabitants of the salt require anglers to make quick shots and even quicker second shots. With the introduction of KonneticHD Technology, the SALT HD puts situational tools in hand to increase your odds of success. Allowing you to reach further, quicker, more delicately, and providing you with the power to make your angling dreams, lasting memories.