Sage Rod Blanks are the heart and soul of the rod and make a perfect canvas. We provide you with the best in fly rod technology and all you have to do is dress it to match your unique style. All of our blanks are still proudly hand built and designed here on Bainbridge Island, WA.
||Butt Size (in)
||Tip Size (mm)
For those ready to build their own fly rod using a Sage blank see the Sage website for recommended guide spacing. Using the guide spacing provided ensures that your rod performs just like one of the fly rods that are hand built.
Sage's R&D Department suggests that you keep the guide placement within a ¼ inch of the measurement that we provide in order to be consistent with the design and feel of factory-assembled Sage rods. Drastic changes to guide size and placement can affect the overall performance of the blank. Below are some tips that will help you assemble your rod to our specifications:
Sage Trout LL Fly Rod Description
- The white dots on each section indicate the straightest axis of the blank; we recommend aligning each section, dot to dot then place the guides on the dotted line
- Assemble the blank and lay flat on a large table or floor with the tip top guide attached
- Measure from the top of the tip top wire down the length to the butt section and mark each measurement with a felt tip pen or marker
- Place the bottom foot, foot closest to butt, on the measurement for best placement accuracy
- The "t" at the end of a guide size stands for thin wire or light wire guide - examples: 1/0t or 1t
- Guide sizes are for double foot snake guides. For single foot guides, we recommend going up 2 sizes.
These are Sage's recommendations, but as a custom rod builder you, of course, have the ability to move the guides around as you choose.
With a delicate touch and medium action, the TROUT LL family has been designed with the trout angler and dry flies in mind. Through blank taper optimization and specialized length offerings, the TROUT LL is perfected for wade fishing, closer casts, small flies, and light tippets. A relatively supple tip maximizes light tippet protection and gives way to a smooth easy-loading mid-section that increases feel and feedback throughout the casting stroke. When the hatch is on, the TROUT LL is an angler’s best friend.
Drawing inspiration from historic Sage rods of the past, the TROUT LL is a nod toward tradition with a classic appearance and a smooth casting taper, yet adds modern performance features in accuracy and loop control through the backbone of Konnetic HD blank material.
The TROUT LL series is available in a combination of classic dry fly line weights and lengths 7’9” though 9’0” while beautiful wood inserts and premium componentry add an elegant touch to these high performance rods.